From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-16 16:39:30

Dan Nuffer wrote:
> I write a file called boost.spec which contains instructions to RPM on
> how to build and install boost.

I'd like to add the boost.spec file to the CVS as a first step towards
a build system, if it's sufficiently generic.

> boost-1.20.2-1.i386.rpm contains the following files:
> /usr/lib/libpycpp.so
> /usr/lib/libregex++.so

I believe the library names should rather be libboost_pycpp.so
and libboost_regex++.so. We've been rather stringent with putting
everything in a namespace.

> The only two libraries that get compiled are pycpp and regex++. I tried
> building dir_it/directory.cpp, but it seems to be broken, does anyone
> know what it's status is?

Dietmar Kuehl hasn't done anything about these libraries for more than a
year or so. That's on the agenda to fix one way or another real soon now.

> Are there any other libraries which need to be compiled that I missed?

You may want to add compile libs/random/random_device.cpp, which is a
boost random number library front-end for /dev/urandom. Particularly
helpful on Linux.

> The python lib makefile doesn't use CXXFLAGS, and it would be nice if it
> did.

David?

> regex has a configure script that can be used with CXXFLAGS, however the
> makefile that's created doesn't have rules to create a shared library.
> Luckily there is the makefile lib/gcc-shared.mak which can make a shared
> library. Unfortunately it doesn't have CXXFLAGS!

John, you may consider adding $(CXXFLAGS) to C1 and C2 in gcc-shared.mak.
It shouldn't break anything.

Jens Maurer