From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-25 10:24:44

----- Original Message -----
From: <hankel_o_fung_at_[hidden]>

> > So arrays are 0-based or 1-based on a per object basis depending on
> > what they represent ... As far as I am concerned this not natural.
> Perhaps not. I admit that I am subjective. Yet, I still like to
> see both index styles supported. After all, I don't own my code
> --- my clients do ;-) And if I want to implement some published
> algorithm, I think I'd better follow the original paper's subscript
> style.

I think one of Andy's points was that if you are writing an algorithm to
work on generic matrices, you probably won't do much indexing anyway (at
least not in the normal sense). Since so may matrices have a form of
sparsity, indexing all of the elements (including the zeroes) can slow down
your algorithm drastically.

-Dave