From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-29 16:05:51

Yeah, me to. I've added *=.

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, David Abrahams wrote:

abraha> FWIW, Ulli is making sense to me.
abraha>
abraha> ----- Original Message -----
abraha> From: "Ullrich Koethe" <koethe_at_[hidden]>
abraha> To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
abraha> Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 1:05 PM
abraha> Subject: Re: [boost] numeric: linear algebra concepts
abraha>
abraha>
abraha> > Jeremy Siek wrote:
abraha> > >
abraha> > > I left it out because it would be nice to allow matrix types to model
abraha> > > Ring, and it is problematic implementing matrix multiplication through
abraha> > > operator*= efficiently.
abraha> > >
abraha> >
abraha> > Hmm, I'm not sure whether this is a sufficient reason for the inevitable
abraha> > surprise. Perhaps a new concept? After all, 'matrix1 *= matrix2' is no
abraha> > less efficient then 'matrix1 = matrix1 * matrix2', is it? There is no
abraha> > requirement that operator*= must be faster than operator*
abraha> >
abraha> > Ulli

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906