From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-02 21:57:05

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>

> Another thing you might want to do is measure the speed difference between
> a hash_map and a std::map in your application. In many applications the
> speed difference will not be enough to worry about, or even
> detect. Remember, too, hash_map performance may degrade badly on some
> platforms. A std::map may be a considerably safer bet.

Also, I'm sitting on a (sorted) vector_set/ vector_multiset implementation
which has proven to be much faster and smaller than either one for certain
applications. John Potter has been working on generalizing this to
vector_map/vector_multimap for some time now, though you can nearly get your
map functionality using vector_set with a value_type that has a mutable
component. We hope to make a formal boost submission soon, though I'm not
sure what shape John's work is in. I'd be happy to send you what I've been
using, if it helps.

-Dave