From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-03 14:15:34

I found a few minutes to clean up (get it to work with VC++) and Boostify my
compressing file stream library. The library currently provides two main
classes: ofzstream and ifzstream. These classes are similar to std::ofstream
and std::ifstream except that they read and write compressed files. Under the
hood, the library implements a streambuf class that compresses / uncompresses
the output / input.

The current version of this library is very file oriented, but it could be
expanded to support in-memory compressed streams. In addition, there are a
number of other cleanup items listed in the design documentation. However, it
is far enough along to get feedback from the group.

As we discussed last week, this library has an external dependency on zlib
(http://www.freesoftware.com/pub/infozip/zlib/). I have documented a short
summary of this discussion in the documentation.

Jeff