From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-05 21:14:24

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, David Abrahams wrote:

abraha> I'm not fond of this proposal, because it forces people
abraha> into long-winded usage. Also, iterator_traits<Base> are
abraha> seldom going to be correct, are they? Maybe it's too
abraha> tricky, but I'm sure with enough metaprogramming you could
abraha> get it to detect whether any of the /currently existing/
abraha> parameters are built traits using the named parameters
abraha> technique, and begin extracting trait values from there.

I don't see how the current iterator_adaptor interface can be used at the
same time as the named parameters technique (at least the recursively
nested version suggested by Aleksey).

abraha> My point is that people who just want to target conforming
abraha> compilers ought to be able to work with the current
abraha> (terse) usage... and I guess this also argues for moving
abraha> the Pointer parameter to the back again, once we also have
abraha> your new technique.
abraha>
abraha> What do you think of that?

A good goal... but I don't know how to achieve it.

confusedly-yours
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906