From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-07 08:08:33

At 12:09 PM 3/7/2001 +0000, tom.widmer_at_[hidden] wrote:

>What we need if for some people to form a new standards body to come
>up with a new standard for, say, a C++ binding of POSIX,

Standards bodies standardize existing practice. They are not suited for
doing things like figuring out a C++ binding for POSIX.

> that is
>easily ported to any platform that supports a C POSIX binding and a
>ISO compliant C++ compiler. Ideally, a Win32 port would be possible.
>All the realtime POSIX extensions would be designed in from the
>start, though not required (especially since I use a realtime OS :)
>
>Perhaps this what a group of the boost people could be doing, rather
>than working relatively independently on a hotch potch of reasonably
>portable libraries?

Well, why don't you make a proposal? You might define some overall goals,
a framework, and identify a methodology. If your overall approach is
compelling, then maybe developers will be climb on board and contribute
detailed designs and implementations.

What is needed is leadership and high-level design skills. Just how do you
take low-level C functions and turn them into C++ classes? The approach
has to be generic enough that you can explain it to others on your
team. The results don't have to be perfect, but should look like C++
rather than C.

--Beman