From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-07 12:02:07

on 3/7/01 6:24 AM, Beman Dawes at bdawes_at_[hidden] wrote:

> So far so good. But doing that will leave the initially committed version
> of each file as part of the main trunk. So the questions are,
>
> How do you tag (or otherwise mark) files as not part of the main trunk?

You can do a cvs remove command on the file in the main trunk (and commit
that change). This leaves the file on the branches it's already on, but not
on the main trunk. The file can be re-added to the main trunk with cvs add
later on, which "resurrects" the file. (The only idiosyncrasy here is that
newly added files are always on the main trunk, and have to be removed from
it. Also, newly added files are not part of any branch until they are tagged
as such.)

> Is there any way to do the same with directories?

If you use the prune empty directories option ("-P") when doing a cvs update
or checkout, empty directories will be deleted. I use that option as a
matter of course (I have it in my .cvsrc file). That's the way to accomplish
the corresponding thing with a directory. I'm guessing that the cvs export
command won't create empty directories either, but I'm guessing you don't
use that one so it doesn't matter much.

    -- Darin