From: Lie-Quan Lee (llee1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-03 15:52:50

At Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:19:29 -0500 (EST),
jeremy siek wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> willia> Unchecked:
> willia> Attempts to lock the mutex repeatedly by the same thread dead lock.
>
> Perhaps it is just the name you chose that is confusing. Perhaps
> "guaranteed dead lock" would be a better name.

Agreed.

So far, when we talked about checked, we are talking about the time
when we want to acquire the mutex. However, there is another checking
point - when we try to release the mutex, we might need checked
behavior, too. Some mutexes have undefined behaviors. Others may
return errors. Yet another mutexes could release the mutex. The last
one is not really mutex concept (mutex has ownership) so we can
exclude it.

--
Lie-Quan Lee