From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-04-09 10:20:01

--- In boost_at_y..., Kostya Altukhov <kostya_at_s...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Interface summary:
> >
> > any_function();
> > any_function(const any_function&);
> > template<typename Functor> any_function(Functor);
>

> I think in C++ callbacks to member functions are far more important
> than callbacks to free functions. I find it a little bit strange
for C++
> callback library not to support callbacks to member functions.
> Am I missing something here?

As pointed out in another post, member functions can be trivially
changed into function objects eliminating the need for direct support
by any_function. In early discussions it was seen as wasted
duplication of effort to address this in a "callback" class when
standard adapter classes were also in the pipe (i.e. boost::bind).

> Talking about callbacks, what I really would like to be a part of
boost
> is libsigc++. Unfortunately it does not seem to be possible because
> it is LGPL'ed library.

This, too, has been discussed. I'd recommend searching the list
archives. There's too much to this one for me to summarize here, but
suffice it to say that this concept isn't being built in a vacuum.

Bill Kempf