From: darylew_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-04-24 00:25:24

I've changed the (regular) operator and conversion tests to use
the Test Tools library. The iterator test is unchanged from when I
last factored out code.

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:

> [...]
and +)
> > + Re-implemented old grouped templates in terms of the
new ones
> > + Added iterator helper templates for input and output
iterators
> > + Completely redone documentation (requires HTML 4)
>
> I think this last point may be a problem. Last time I checked,
many
> Unix/Linux users have only older versions of Netscape which
don't support
> things like &ldquo; and &rdquo;.
>
> &harr; is unknown to IE5 for Windows. I think we may have to
stick to HTML
> versions < 4.0 for the time being.

OK.

> The documentation looks quite good, with the following
noticeable problems
> remaining:
>
> > Summary of Template Semantics
>
> > Each operator class template completes the concept(s) it
describes by
> filling
> > in operators missing from a target class. A template can
implement its new
> > operators by using existing base class operations (which
would be
> > required). Specifically:
>
> What does "which would be required" mean above?
> This entire section is good, but needs some English usage
cleanup. I would
> be happy to do that myself.
>
> The section titled "Use of Concepts" contains the word "expect"
where
> "except" was intended, I expect ;-)
>
> > The user should be aware of the following points for using
this library:

> This single body sentence for the "Usage" section adds
nothing and should be
> stricken
>
> The link to the GOTW site needs to be updated. It still works, if
you wait
> long enough, but I get the feeling that will change eventually.
>
> > Seperate, Explicit Instantiation
> ^^^^^^^^ should be "separate"

I fixed all of these.

> I'm unhappy with the way the tables show up in my browser.
The middle column
> tends to wrap unneccessarily in every row, causing lots of
vertical bloat. I
> think this could be fixed by forcing some line breaks in the
rightmost
> column of the xxx_convertible rows, but probably an HTML
expert like you
> knows a better way.

I'm not sure that there's a best solution. I've put up something
that works on one of my browsers, but I don't know how good it is
for everyone else.

> I realize we've gone back and forth over this name, but with
fresh eyes I
> find "negatable" confusible with the idea of unary operator-(). I
also buy
> Alexy's argument that it is a completely useless template that
adds no
> functionality. I would like to see it removed.

OK.

Daryle
[posting through web interface]