From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-02 18:13:34

From: "Doug Gregor" <gregod_at_[hidden]>

> Looks like Microsoft changed its (already incorrect) partial ordering
rules
> yet again.

Heh, they never had partial ordering rules. :-)

> The problem with:
>
> function(Functor const & f)
>
> is, of course, function pointers.

There's a deeper problem here. Many compilers allow const references to
functions (silently discarding the const since function types cannot have cv
qualifiers) but EDG doesn't, at least EDG 2.41 that's part of Intel C++ 5.0
doesn't - this is (arguably) correct according to the Standard. Perhaps this
is why you define NO_PARTIAL_ORDERING for Intel (it has partial ordering.)

[Update: the online Comeau doesn't like it either.]

> Then Functor ends up not being a pointer
> type, so boost::function can't distinguish between a function pointer and
> function object.

True, but as it turns out, this at least allows me to use boost::function by
prefixing free functions with '&' as appropriate, something that I do in my
code anyway.

BTW, some of the lines in function.hpp contain fair amounts of whitespace at
the end. :-)

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.