From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-15 16:38:13

At 03:10 PM 5/15/2001, Bill Seymour wrote:

>Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>>
>> I think the ability of choosing rounding mode should not be
>> overlooked. It is an essential part of LIA-1 and later standards.
>>
>and Beman Dawes responded:
>>
>> I'm convinced.
>>
>but I'm not sure that I am. I'm under the impression that LIA-1
>relates more to numeric programming than to accounting. If I
>hear from accountants that they care about multiple rounding
>modes, then I'll echo Beman's statement.

Seems like you need to post a query to an accountant's newsgroup to answer
that one! Boost isn't a likely hangout for the green eyeshade crowd:-)

One of the things to consider is whether or not adding a defaulted rounding
trait/policy template parameter (or a runtime one per Howard's comment)
really messes up the interface.

In the end, it isn't design by committee. You will have heard a lot of
opinions, but you are the one who has to make the final decision. Good
luck!

--Beman