From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-19 15:51:34

----- Original Message -----
From: <rwgk_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 7:52 AM
Subject: [boost] Re: BOOST_PYTHON_CONVERSION (Was: Question about
interpretation of ISO C++ standard)

> > I think there is a way to generate the functions in boost::python
> for VC6
> > and look them up using a dispatching function template, but it
> hardly seems
> > worth it since it wouldn't work properly for GCC.
>
> OK. Who will do what? What about creating a named branch
> on the two subdirectories root/boost/boost/python and
> root/boost/libs/python? Branch label, say,
> boost_python_friend_fixes.
> David, would you be able to start the fixes? I figure that
> the classes with the converters have to be moved to the
> global namespace,

Only for MSVC and (probably) GCC.

> but I am not entirely sure. Could you do some
> initial work to give us the idea?

I'm trying to do that now.

> I could then work out the
> details and do the testing on all the different platforms
> that we have.

Great.

FYI, I think actually that the argument order for from_python() is actually
OK. There's no danger of an unqualified call mistakenly picking up an
unrelated function called from_python from the user's namespace, because
from_python always takes an argument of boost::python::type<T> - the user
shouldn't put this in his function signature unless he means to implement
the one from boost::python.

-Dave