From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-23 18:45:30

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Greg Colvin, Kevlin Henney, and I discussed smart pointer "big-picture"
> issues at the recent C++ committee meeting.

[]

You might also look at the experimental Felix GC system
available on boost. This combines reference counting
with garbage collection to solve some of the problems
ref counting has with circular data structures.

The basic idea is to collect garbage, but to solve
some of the performance and order and time
of finalisation problems by also supporting
reference counting and explicit destruction.

Although usage is not transparent, arbitrary
data types can be collected (the technique
is non-invasive). Of some 'Standards conformance'
interest is that finalisers need not call destructors.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net