From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-03 10:20:26

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Daryle Walker wrote:
> * A generator, in STL lingo, is a function object that takes no arguments
> and returns a value, so "token_iterator_generator" has an inappropriate
> name. Also, a traits class that just provides a type should only have an
> interface that consists just of that type (we'll call it "type"). You mix
> metaphors by having a main "type" and other published types. That looks
> confusing. Either rename "type" to something else or unpublish the helper
> types.

His use of the term "generator" is inherited from the iterator adaptor
library. We decided to use that name for type generators. Yes, it is
unfortunate that we didn't think about the name conflict with the function
object usage, but it's probably a bit late to go back and change that now.

As for the mixed metaphors... I bet those other types are suppose to be
private, not public.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate, IU B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Summer Manager, AT&T Research phone: (973) 360-8185