From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-27 16:15:18

At 04:43 PM 6/27/2001, Beman Dawes wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, John Max Skaller wrote:
> > class thread_api
> > // lighweight API wrapper
> > // purpose: platform independence
> >
> > class posix_api : public thread_api
> > // posix extension
> >
> > class win32_api: public thread_api
> > // win32 extension: boost only
> >
> > class thread_id
> > // copyable thread id wrapper
> >
> > class my_favourite_thread_manager
> > // design competetion on boost to choose
> > // one or more alternatives
>
>I haven't thought in terms of that many layers, but a layered approach is

>very much the approach I'd like to see explored.

That isn't quite right. 2nd try: A layered approach is the very much the
approach I'd would have explored myself, but developers with threading
experience don't agree. So after much effort making sure their solution is
well-thought out and tailored to the peculiarities of threads, I'm becoming
convinced we should follow their advice.

--Beman