From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-01 10:47:21

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>

> Every syntax is possible, but I want to point out that we should stay
within
> the confines of C++. Python may be a great language and I have nothing
> against it, but many C++ programers have never heard of it and will not
feel
> at home with the syntax.
>
> format(" $1 $2 $3", x, y, z) is the C++ way to do things.

Really, anything printf-like is not the C++ way, at least not today. The
above looks to me very much like the 'C' way to do things.

Surely also stringing arguments to be formatted together with operators /is/
the C++ way.

Modern C++ often involves inventing new syntax, and where neccessary to
avoid problems like the 2^n explosions and argument count limitations
described earlier, it's a good thing.

-Dave