From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-16 14:31:59

At 02:54 PM 7/16/2001, Corwin Joy wrote:

>> This is a reasonable consideration and has been mentioned before on
this
>> list, but if I were to introduce it I would need to be convinced that
it
>> is both effective and genuinely desirable, given the tradeoffs it
>> introduces -- it is not, by definition, an "upgrade".
>
>And what exactly is the "downside" of providing a template parameter to
>take
>an allocator. It seems relatively easy to add & I don't see how it would
>degrade the existing functionality or performance of any.

Allocators have been a disappointment. I'll guess that if the library
working group were to do it over again, there would be quite a few people
arguing for no allocators parameters in the standard library
containers. Every addition parameter (when as complex a concept as
allocators) adds to user confusion. One alternative is to just let the
implementations do the right thing. The other is to fix allocators.

--Beman