From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-24 10:42:22

Boost.Build would be a little easier for users if the following errors were
detected and reported:

* BOOST_ROOT not defined.

* BOOST_BUILD_INSTALATION not defined.

* A later version of the Jam executable is required by Boost.Build.

* The compiler specified isn't configured correctly; variables required by
that compiler aren't defined.

* The compiler specified isn't configured correctly; for unknown reasons,
the compiler can't compile and execute even a simple "hello, world, using
<iostream>" program which doesn't even use any of the Boost libraries.

* A simple "hello, world, using <iostream>" program (which doesn't use the
Boost libraries) compiles and executes OK, but for unknown reasons, the
compiler can't compile and execute even the simple
boost-root/libs/config/config_test.cpp test program.

Note that none of the above are theoretical; in testing yesterday I made
every errors which the above checks would have detected, except for the
wrong version problem, and some else reported that problem.

OTOH, once I got the environment variables set right, directory and file
names spelled right, etc, the threads library built right away.

--Beman