From: Lyell E. Haynes (fizban_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-30 14:15:19

Hi all, I'm new to the group (been watching your conversations for about
a month or so), but I'm interested in this sockets library, so I thought
I'd chip in with some comments.

I think the requirements are looking good. I especially like the fact that
the low level wrappers should not just be composed of one class that wraps
all Windows and Unix socket functionality, but goes more along the lines
of having separate classes based on the functionality required. A simple
network client will not be listening on any ports, so it doesn't need that
functionality in it's socket connection! Very nice.

I am a little interested to hear what others have to say about using
exception based failure mechanisms rather than return codes. Do you
really need people to be putting every little socket function in a
try/catch block in order to run safely? What about instances where an
application will still want to continue running after a failure, just
without network support. It seems to me to be simpler to just let the
application check the return codes, rather than deal with the complexities
of setting it's own error codes in each catch block. Maybe some
clarification on how this would work in this socket library. I know it's
just the requirements spec, but I'm sure someone's already thought about
how this would proceed.

I also think that TCP/IP should be the basis of this design, but it
shouldn't be the only thing included. It should be used to get the library
started, but it might be useful to be able to add more protocols later as
the need arises, so some amount of generalization in that area should be
required.

Thanks.

Lyell Haynes
fizban_at_[hidden]