From: Jon Kalb (jonkalb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-01 12:16:56

Apple's <X networking interface is called OpenTransport and it is based
on XTI (Streams). There is a freely available socket interface for <X
Macintosh called GUSI
<http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri/macintosh/gusi-qa.html>

I think I understand Daryle's concern, but I don't think it should stand
in the way of the development of a Boost socket library. It is true that
the socket interface is not available on every platform that supports
C++, but then *networking* isn't available on every platform that
supports C++. I think Boost gets more bang for its effort developing a
library that works over this well known and widely available interface
then to try to invent a new interface that could theoretically be
implemented over any arbitrary networking interface.

--
Jon Kalb