From: Philip Nash (philip.nash_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-04 09:49:56

> > Perhaps the above highlights will clarify.
> > AFAICS: The A appears to stand for Atomicity or Atomically. So
> A-Safe must
> > be "Atomically Safe", although obviously only in the context of
> exception
> > safety.
> >
> > Am I close? :-)
>
> I guess you'd have to ask Herb. What would "Atomically Safe" mean, anyway?

Well, I am assuming it means an operation that is guaranteed not to be
interrupted by an exception (and so therefore is non-throwing).
If so it is a bit confusing as it is obviously not atomic with respect to
concurrency.

If Herb doesn't pop his head round the door here soon I'll ask him when I
see him at the C++ Seminar in Portland next month :-)

[)o
IhIL..