From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-05 17:03:55

williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:
[EH in threads]

> To truly get this in a portable
> manner that covers all the bases is likely going to require a core
> language change and compiler support. This is precisely one of the
> reasons why we need a "designed from the ground up" C++ solution
> instead of a simple wrapper around POSIX or Win32 threads. We're
> doing the best we can to give a library implementation of such a
> design, which hopefully can be used for some today, noting any holes
> that exist because of changes needed to the C++ abstract machine.

        Precisely. Without a library, we can't see what it is
that is really needed in the language core. Without changes
in the language core, we can't have the library.

> If a concept (like this one) can't be done in the library, we're
> removing it with the hopes that it can be added again if/when it's
> adopted into the language standard.

        It is probably reasonable to supply a faulty
implementation with a note that it may fail on system X
occasionally: that may put pressure on system X's vendors
to fix the problem so it will comply in advance with a possible
future C++ Standard. After all, technically, all bets are
off when you're multithreading anyhow. :-)

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net