From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-14 17:25:11

On Tuesday, August 14, 2001, at 05:52 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> * What libraries would the Boost membership like to see submitted?
>
> * What are the criteria (as seen by Boost, and as seen by the
> committee)?
>
> * How do we package (or batch) the submissions? One big submission?
> Lots of
> little ones?
>
> My own feeling is that we ought to start with the most mature Boost
> libraries, submitted in batched proposals somehow related to
> dependencies. Individual libraries would be too small a granularity;
> related libraries should proceed together through the process. But too
> big
> a proposal will choke the Library Working Group's ability to digest new
> stuff.
>
> Comments? Anyone like to try to put together a preliminary list of
> libraries?

Speaking as one who will be one of the reviewers on the committee, I
would like to see smaller submissions, with dependent libs submitted
after independent libs (by after I mean at least towards the rear of a
batch proposal). If pertinent for an independent lib, it would be good
to know what following libs are dependent upon it.

I also don't feel the need to see all of the boost submissions at once.
I would be perfectly happy looking at a few now, and maybe a few more in
6 months.

I would like to see the type_traits lib submitted (I have an obvious
bias on that one). I believe it is both independent, and that other
libs will depend on it (though I'm not sure which ones). This one may
also have some core issues (is_union?).

-Howard