From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-15 09:24:50

At 08:56 AM 8/15/2001, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

>> From: "Scott McCaskill" <scott_at_m...>

Yes. In terms of the C++ standard, the "erroneously coded application"
errors are specified as preconditions via a "Requires" clause in the docs,
and thus error checking is optional. "Errors or conditions caused by the
system" are specified in the "Throws" clause in the docs, and thus require
an implementation to detect and throw on the error condition.

In helping with the Boost.Threads docs, I've been trying to make sure that
all the "Requires" and "Throws" conditions are specified correctly. While
quite a bit of progress has been made, there are still a number of places
where "Requires" and "Throws" aren't fully specified yet.

One way to do this is to compare asserts and throws in Bill's code to the
docs, looking for cases not mentioned in the docs. If someone would like
to do that, it would be appreciated.

(There is also an open issue that runtime_error is being thrown instead of
a thread specific error. runtime_error is just a placeholder waiting for a
thread specific class.)

--Beman