From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-16 18:55:58

Peter Dimov wrote:

> The size of the library is mainly due to the support of up to nine
> arguments. The maximum number of arguments is not enshrined in the
> specification; it's supposed to be an implementation quantity (as in annex
> B.) The reference implementation supports so many arguments for two reasons:
>
> * it's much easier to scale down a 9-arg version than to scale up a 2-arg
> version;
> * a proof of concept is needed that implementation difficulty scales
> linearly with the number of arguments.

        Since nine is a joke, the real reason is to given an example
of a problem needing O(1) implementation. If we get enough of these,
we may find a common core that is enough to build more or less
arbitrary libraries, using only one or two compiler supported
ones. Tuple is another candidate for compiler support.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net