From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-19 12:13:06

Beman Dawes wrote:

> At 08:52 PM 8/16/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:

> > Historically, a LOT of interface details of
> >libraries have been changed.
>
> While that was certainly true in the past, I'm not sure it will be as true
> in the future.

> Those factors (which led to a lot of changes in the proposals) just aren't
> present with the Boost libraries, which are just plain a lot more mature
> than the material the committee had to work with in the past.

        Really? I see smart_ptr being changed today. Thread isn't
even available yet.

> Ensuring proposals were for mature, existing-practice libraries was a
> major goal and motivation for starting Boost.

        A good idea too.

> What I think fairly likely is that the LWG will put some of the Boost
> libraries in existing headers, will change the names of some headers,
> classes, and functions.
>
> Some functionality may be struck, particularly if a library provides two
> ways of doing the same thing.

        The committee is capable of doing a kind of analysis that
boost cannot. With fewer libraries, and more concrete proposals,
WG21 can look at issues like consistency which are much harder to
examine with boost: for example, people actually write formal proposals
for changes. As an example: the _1 or 'arg1' kind of issue is hard
to resolve on boost, but the LWG can resolve it easily, and then make
sure the adopted solution is used consistently.

        I note that there are a lot of libraries on boost --
and I'd be horrified if even half of them were Standardised.
[We'd like to keep it so the document fits on a single CD :-]

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
New generation programming language Felix  http://felix.sourceforge.net