From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-06 12:16:31

From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> At 01:13 PM 8/19/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:
>
> >Beman Dawes wrote:

> >> While that was certainly true in the past, I'm not sure it will be as true
> >> in the future.
> >
> >> Those factors (which led to a lot of changes in the proposals) just aren't
> >> present with the Boost libraries, which are just plain a lot more mature
> >> than the material the committee had to work with in the past.
> >
> > Really? I see smart_ptr being changed today.
>
> You see proposals for change. Smart pointers seem to generate looks of
> suggestions. But the basic contents and semantics have been relatively
> stable (compared to auto_ptr changes before CD1, CD2, and the standard, for
> example).

I think the core semantics of shared_ptr are well established.
The shared_ptr is still quite recognizably the same concept as
my earliest counted_ptr proposal, which itself was quite similar
to lots of earlier work by others.

The changes over the years have been mainly to the details of
the interface, and I suspect that if the committee accepts
shared_ptr that will be where they will make the most changes.

The changes we will be considering soon are pure interface
extensions.

And by the way, I don't think shared_ptr will be ready for
standardization in October, and was thinking that the October
session should be a "heads up" to the committee of proposals
that may be coming down the road. The overall structure of
the Boost project should be presented at a high level, and
a few of the more mature libraries presented in enough detail
to give a good feeling for the nature and quality of our work.