From: Hubert HOLIN (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-24 06:27:48

Somewhere in the E.U., le 24/08/2001

        Hi

--- In boost_at_y..., darylew_at_m... wrote:
> It's at:

> It does:
>
> 1. Adds a forwarding header to the math sublibrary

                I see this a yet one more maintenance hazard. It lessens
modularity ("I only need sinc, I don't care about atanh..."
situations). It also can not (should not) replace the actual
documentation. I fail to see what it gains us. I am not in favor of it.

> 2. Adds a main documentation directory and index.html

                I am neutral about this one. It would have to work with the
roster one-liner page, though...

> 3. Since I couldn't compile sinc.hpp and sinhc.hpp as is,
> I converted them to the function-calling-a-functor model.
> (Hopefully partial specialization of class templates is more
> widespread than template-based template parameters
> for function templates.)

                The technique used has merit, but lead IMHO unecessary code
duplication and lessening of modularity. As I understand, this is a
work-around for a compiler deficiency. What I would rater do, as I do
not forsee that use of sinc on octonions to be in *such* great demand
;-) , is conditionalize the test to exclude it for that particular
version of the compiler. At any rate, that's what I am doing (among
other things) for Gcc and the Comeau in the update I am working on at
the moment.

> 4. Adjusted docs for special functions to match
> (and rediscovered why I don't like HTML editors).
> 5. Fixed up the quaternion-rotation example

                I did not find the fixed file. What was the problem?

> It differs from version 1 in that it's made after the Boost 1.24.0
> release.
>
> I still have to fix up the HTML some more.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Does it work at least for the platforms previous versions did?
> 2. Does it work for new configurations (besides mine)?
> 3. Should these changes be incorporated?

                I believe these changes should not be incorporated.

> Daryle Walker
> [posting through web interface]

        Thanks for the comments

                        Hubert Holin