From: flameframe_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-09-07 09:08:55

--- In boost_at_y..., williamkempf_at_h... wrote:

> > I'll be interested in your research. MS people that know the
> details claim
> > that a critical section is incredibly optimized and should beat a
> mutex in
> > any reasonable scenario.
>
> It wasn't my research. It was research that Alexander Terekhov
> (spelled from memory, sorry if I buthered it) found on the net.

You could look also to detailed comparision - "Thread Performance,
Critical Sections, and Mutexes" by Johnson M. Hart on
http://world.std.com/~jmhart/csmutx.htm.

BTW. I am agree that mutex is more _universal_ solution from a
performance point of view. But to be fair - CS are faster in simple
design. I believe that possibility to support them should be at least
taken in account.

Best regards,
Vitalij.