From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-09-10 13:47:13

Hi,

finally, I managed to produce a new version of the directory iterator
which was in the "beta libraries" for ages now (it was one of the
first submissions to Boost but it was never reviewed). The new version
uses a [slightly] revised interface, provides access to a files
attribute directly through another class ("dir_entry"), and is only
implemented for POSIX systems (and even there might be some porting
necessary).

Providing the library for POSIX systems only was a deliberate step
which is due to the fact that I'm no expert on other systems and
barely manage to figure out operational methods for certain things.
The current version is intended to provide an interface for discussion
which is then [hopefully] ported to other systems by corresponding
platform experts.

The current version is not yet ready for a review because the
documentation is not really complete, the build system is using
GNU make rather than Jam and it is lacking some tests. Suggestions on
how to test things which are applicable only to some platforms, are
restricted in use depending on the users rights (eg. changing the
owner of file), need system information (like changing the group of
file) are welcome as well as a hand with switching to Jam.

I hope this stuff turns out to be useful :-)
  Dietmar
PS: If someone is really interested in this stuff and wants to
  maintain it in the future, I would be willing to hand this stuff
  over: I have enough other things to care for...

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]>
<http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>