From: helmut.zeisel_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-09-26 11:38:45

--- In boost_at_y..., "Damien Fisher" <dfisher_at_u...> wrote:

> So basically what I wrote was a floating point class which works in
> base 10,
> not base 2. Eg, 5.051234 becomes the integer 5051234, mantissa 6.
> If
> really huge numbers need to be stored, then int64_t or even bigints
> can be
> specified as the underlying storage. Obviously this is not as
> efficient,
> but the loss in accuracy is unacceptable. While I personally don't
> see any
> point in extending it to other bases, I don't see any point in not
doing so
> either :).

As I understand, you have already written a class and ask whether
it might be useful for a broader audience.
I personally do not need a solution for your special problem,
I would, however,
be interested in an arbitrary / high precision floating point class.
Could your code combined with a bigint class
be used to provide a high precision floating point class?
If this is the case, then I am interested in it.

Helmut