From: Kevin Lynch (krlynch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-05 12:20:14

Eric Ford wrote:

> > > MAKE_STD_FUNCTION_REAL2 (and SPECIALIZE_...) need to be able to
> deal
> > > with arguments of differing types. More template arguments...
> >
> > > ldexp will either need to take two template arguments (even though
> we
> > > know the second should be an int) or be done separately.
>
> > I'm not sure I understand these two comments. Could you elaborate a
> > bit? I understand removing the limitation on the SPECIALIZE_...
> macros
> > (I've already run into a need to make the return type a parameter
> > already for some of the C99 functions). But why does M_S_F_R_2 need
> > change?
>
> Since you would only specialize for int*, and the default is a
> compile error, it doesn't matter if the second parameter is there. But
> then you'd need to specialize the relevant functions as templates
> taking two parameters rather than one.

Of course! I can't believe I missed that - after all, the whole point
of the library is to prevent implicit conversions in function calls, and
that's what the templates do. I've already implemented this in my copy,
which I will hopefully upload later today.

Moving forward....

Kevin Lynch				voice:	 (617) 353-6065
Physics Department			Fax: (617) 353-6062
Boston University			office:	 PRB-565
590 Commonwealth Ave.			e-mail:	 krlynch_at_[hidden]
Boston, MA 02215 USA			http://physics.bu.edu/~krlynch