From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-22 13:40:52

Ah, sorry.

Looking at makedebugjam.bat (which I recommend you use to build jam), I am
setting the following variables to be empty:

JAMBASE= BOOST_ROOT= BOOST_BUILD_PATH=

The Jambase I have checked in uses these variables to find the build system.
The logic is described in the following comment at the end of Jambase:

#
# Now include the build system, or, if no build system specified,
# the user's Jamfile.
#

# The logic for finding the build system:
#
# The process is controlled by the variables (in decreasing
# precedence):

# If JAMBASE is set, it specifies the build system filename
#
# Otherwise, if BOOST_BUILD_PATH or BOOST_ROOT is set, the build system
filename
# is boost-build.jam.
#
# If the build system filename does not contain a path specification, the
build
# system file is searched for on $(BOOST_BUILD_PATH) then at
# $(BOOST_ROOT)/tools/build.
#
# If neither JAMBASE, BOOST_ROOT, nor BOOST_BUILD_PATH is set, we use the
# built-in Jambase (this file) and load the user's Jamfile. Perforce Jam has
# this behavior, and it is used for building Jam itself. Thus, if you
rebuild
# Jam, these variables should be unset.

-Dave

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]