From: Mac Murrett (mmurrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-22 16:38:02

If anyone else out there is interested, I will gladly lead the effort to get
this working on Mac OS 8.6+. The Mac OS _does_ have preemptive
multithreading, through use of MPTasks. Most of the OS is off limits to
MPTasks, but we can use Boost.Function to move calls out to deferred task
and/or system task time. We would also need to provide a global override of
operator new to use MPTask-safe memory allocation (not through
MPAllocateAligned, as this incurs unacceptable stalls, but through
OpenTransport or pooled allocation with custom heap management).

Even with such a port, most of the standard library would be off-limits to
code running in these tasks, as most code calls into the OS somewhere, and
it's a good bet that those calls used are not MPTask-safe. I would have a
blast porting it, though, and I know that my company and our clients would
benefit greatly from such a port. This is a much better solution for
porting Windows code to the Mac than hacking cooperative threads, especially
for time-sensitive applications.

Mac.