From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-01 01:11:57

> If there is some way to detect that the user is asking for something the
> platform can't deliver, that would certainly be a useful
> diagnostic. Although you might be doing time calculations on data
> generated elsewhere, so the fact that the current platform's clock's
> couldn't resolve to the precision required wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know of any way to auto detect this type of this. I suspect
configuration combined with expertise from boosters on different platforms would
be the most effective approach.

> > Just as an aside,
> >I don't have a timer in GDTL at this point, but it would probably be
> >a logical home for this functionality...
>
> In particular, it would be nice to have a full fledged timer to replace the
> xtime placeholder Bill Kempf has in Boost.Threads.

Bill mentioned this in an earlier thread, and I have a todo note to look at the
stuff in the thread library, but I haven't had a chance yet.

> But while it might be useful to give a bit of thought to how those timer
> needs would play out in relation to the GDTL, I'd hate to see that exercise
> cause much delay in submitting the GDTL to Boost for initial comments and
> then formal review. The current date and time facilities inherited from C
> seem awfully old-fashioned to me, and I'd really like Boost to take a
> serious look at potential replacements.

I agree totally -- should be around the end of this month -- stay tuned :-)

Jeff