From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-11-13 09:37:30

--- In boost_at_y..., John Maddock <John_Maddock_at_c...> wrote:

> >Will it compile when statically linked to the RTL? Of course.
Would
> this cause problems for all programs built this way? Probably
not.
> However, the chances of the user getting things wrong here are
> EXTREMELY high, especially considering that the sole purpose of
> threadmon is to cleanup thread specific storage which will almost
> assuredly be allocated on the heap using the RTL by the
application,
> while the cleanup runs in the DLL.
> <
>
> Except that the cleanup isn't really in the dll (unless I've
misunderstood
> which is quite likely) - the dll just calls the appropriate
proceedure
> callback - and that will be running in the exe won't it?

I tried to explain this better in another post but I'll do so again
in case there's still confusion. I wrote the above in a hurry and so
the description is far from accurate to what I meant. The above
reads that I thought the DLL boundary crossed by allocation and
deallocation was for the threadmon DLL, which obviously isn't
accurate. My actual concern was that the cleanup routine is
registered at the time of creation for the slot, but the individual
TSS pointers would be set to memory allocated at a later point,
possibly in a seperate DLL. So cleanup is registered in the EXE or a
DLL while the memory is allocated in another DLL.

Bill Kempf