From: Mattias Flodin (flodin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-13 15:30:36

Yes, I've been looking at your singleton now and it is certainly very
interesting - I seems a bit of a shame that it would live the rest of its
life in a 'detail' directory. :)

The properties you describe are also very useful, but I do not understand
how you can guarantee the last one; in my observations, the destruction
order of objects in different modules have no guaranteed relation - I
believe this is also stated in the standard. This is one of the main
reasons I see for the need of a user-instantiated singleton: it is
seemingly the only way to completely control construction and destruction
order.

As for the trick in the constructor, it is there to allow constructs such
as:

class B : public A, public singleton<A> { /* ... */ };

In this case, the 'this' pointer that singleton's ctor receives cannot be
directly reinterpreted as a B pointer. The code essentially casts the
number 1 from being a singleton pointer into being a A pointer, in order
to determine the offset of A in relation to its aggregated singleton.
Casting 0 does not work because such a cast is guaranteed never to modify
the pointer, thus I must use 1 for casting and then subtract 1.

/Mattias

--
Mattias Flodin <flodin_at_[hidden]>   "A good thing about C++ is that only
Room D418                           friends can access your private parts"