From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-16 09:56:17

Right. My point is that there are any number of "non-standard conforming
behaviors" that you get anyway in a multithreaded system. For example:

int x = 1;
bool success = start_some_threads();
int y = x;

What is the value of y? In a conforming system, it's 1. In a multithreaded
system, maybe it's not. This is independent of whether there's a
multiprocessor doing lazy cache flushes.