From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-26 07:58:39

>which would place the actual name 'address' in $1. I should, at this
>point, have the match I need, however it fails to match unless I
>provide the ^ and $ like this:

Your original expression looked right to me, please post some sample code
so we can see what you are doing, and remember that:

Escape characters need to be doubly escaped if the regex is embedded in a
C-string (the first escape gets gobbled up by the compiler).

That the regex_match algorithm *does not* search through the string, it
only matches the whole of the input or not at all (use regex_search to
search the input for a match.

- John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/