From: Moore, Paul (paul.moore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-03 05:06:04

From: Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]>
> There is now a header dedicated to computing the greatest
> common divisor or the least common multiple of two numbers,
> at compile-time or run-time. I think there are two
> libraries currently using private GCD/LCM routines, pool
> and rational. Maybe they can transition to the new header,
> if possible, by the next release?

As discussed previously on the list, I can "drop in" the new GCD calls.
However, I do not have time to build and test the resulting code, other than
a quick "did the regression test still work" check on MSVC6. I also won't
have time to field any reports resulting from this change.

If this is acceptable to the group, I can make the (pretty trivial) patch.

BTW, this also alters the public interface of the rational header, as the
gcd and lcm functions were previously documented as exposed by that header.
I assume that the loss of those functions from that location is also
acceptable?

BTW[2], I see no performance or dependency notes for the new GCD library
(such as the rational library has). I'm not sure what implication this has
on the rational class documentation, as now I cannot be explicit about
performance or dependencies whenever I use gcd() (basically, everywhere).
Can performance and dependency notes be added to the gcd library? And can
someone check that no new dependencies, or worse performance, is added by
the new library. I can then just point the rational documentation at the gcd
documentation.

Paul.