From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-07 18:38:07

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Merrells" <merrells_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] jam - exe rule

Sod's law dictates that one minute after crying for help
on a mailing list you'll work out the answer yourself...

<library-file>

But... the reason I had so much trouble is because on
NT/MSVC the build system creates a .CMD file for the
linker... and if the link fails the .CMD file is left behind...
you then patch your jamfile, but the .CMD isn't recreated,
it just uses the old one... so if you don't know or forget
to delete the .CMD file you'll never know if your patch
to the jamfile made any difference.

Yep. The solution, which we will use eventually, is to make targets depend
on the Jamfile(s) which are used to specify them. And then, even more
eventually, we'll store information about the command-lines used to build
targets and only re-create them when something actually changes.

-Dave