From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-08 18:38:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>

> At 08:41 PM 12/2/2001, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> >Me, too. We could also formalize my template instantiation speed test
and
> >try it with more compilers:
> >
> >http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/instantiation_speed/index.html
>
> I'd like to see both Jens' compile time results and your instantiation
> speed test more widely available.
>
> Issues to be resolved:
>
> * Are we going to change over to using Boost.Jam to run the regression
> tests? I'd like to see that happen; it is taking too long already to run
> the tests, and that can only get much worse. No point in getting new
> tables set up under regression.cpp only to change to Boost.Jam right away.

Here's the deal:

We are not very far from being able to do that, and I do intend that the
regression tests run under Boost.Jam eventually... actually, they do
already; we just aren't generating HTML output and logs yet. Unfortunately,
I am more than a little overwhelmed with what seems to be a fundamental
redesign of Boost.Python at the moment, so I don't have time to work on it
right away.

I also seem to be completely in second-system mode here, since as you
probably know I've been working on a redesign of Boost.Build, with Vladimir,
Toon, Ullrich, and Thomas Witt, among others. I've been reluctant to invest
too much in the existing build system code because the new one is going to
be soooooo much better [heard that one before, right?] ;-). But of course,
we don't have the new one yet. Since we have Jens' system, and it seems to
work, I figured it wasn't a priority to get the boost.build version going.

That said, we really are close to having everything we need under the
existing build system. Someone with a little time and energy should be able
to put together the missing pieces. I have some head-start information for
anyone who wants to volunteer, and would be happy to provide guidance.

-Dave