From: Mark Rodgers (mark.rodgers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-11 05:14:06

From: "Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]>

> Good point, but then string has 'length' as well. Anyway, I was giving
> length just as an example.

Yes it does, but I'm not sure why because it also has size. I suspect
it was left in by mistake after the STL interface was retrofitted to the
string proposal. But the point remains for all the names - you should
reuse established names for algorithms and operations instead of
inventing new ones:

- It should be at instead of TypeAt.
- It should be find instead of IndexOf.
- It should be push_back instead of Append.
- It should be unique instead of NoDuplicates.

> Does 'Amazon' has anything to do with bookstores? 'Apple' with computers?
> And finally... 'Microsoft Works' with... Microsoft works???
>
> :o)

I presume by the smiley that you are merely being facetious, and that you
realise that brand and company names are completely different kettles of
fish from names in computer programs.

Mark