From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-20 11:50:13

--- In boost_at_y..., Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_a...> wrote:
> At 08:57 AM 12/19/2001, David Abrahams wrote:

Apply fixes
> >> that branch until satisfied. After the release, merge the
branch back
> >into
> >> the main trunk.
> >>
> >> (2) At the freeze date, tag for release. Apply fixes to the
main
> trunk
> >> (updating the tag) until satisfied. No post-release merge is
required.

> >With procedure 2 it seems to me that there's no point tagging
until the
> >actual release goes out. You still need to rely on people to keep
major
> >changes off the main trunk.
>
> No (unless I'm missing something), that isn't a problem. What gets
> released isn't the current main trunk, but the tagged set of
files. Thus a
> developer can continue to modify the main trunk - if the
modification
> should go in the release, the file must be re-tagged - if the
modification
> is not to go in the release, the developer doesn't have to do
anything at
> all.
>
> I really see any procedure involving a branch as a major hassle
because of
> the later merge. Who is going to do the merge and resolve the
> conflicts? It can't be a central administrator because that person
won't
> have the knowledge to resolve conflicts. So it would have to be
individual
> developers. And that's just not feasible with so many developers.

Who ever makes a change to the branch is responsible for merging to
the trunk. And he need not wait until the end to do so. So if you
correct a bug on the "release branch" and check it in you simply
immediately merge this onto the trunk. Someone else can come along
afterwards and fix another bug and merge back onto the trunk as
well. So I don't see how this can be considered too complicated
because of the number of developers. The number of developers is
really irrelevant to my mind. The only complication is the extra
steps required to check in bug fixes, which will require
some "training" (aka documentation) and discipline, but that's true
of any development effort with multiple developers.

Bill Kempf