From: Lee Brown (lee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-12 20:19:42

I have a couple of concerns that relate to this discussion:

1) What good is policy based programming if some of the best programmers
in the world discuss for days what is best for a rudimentary class like smart
pointer. Isn't it the point of /generic policy based programming to
eliminate long drawn out decision making? I mean if the experts can't get it
right quickly, what chance does your typical programmer have? I think he
would starve.

2) What exactly is the defininition of a policy? I mean precisely, what are
the criteria? There seems to be this vague notion of it, but I don't see a
precise definition i.e. in EBN format or whatever. To me, precision is the
difference between science and metascience.... understanding and confusion.
So if there is a definition I would appreciate someone pointing me to it.

thanks for your time,
lee