From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-13 05:19:41

Lee Brown wrote:
> I do have one question: why doesn't Boost.threads seem to support
> thread cancelation? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the documentation.

Thread cancelation is difficult to do correctly in a C++ program,
because you want to run all the destructors of stack objects of
the thread being canceled.
Bill Kempf might want to elaborate.

> Also, the mutex/lock implementation seems a bit elaborate. I undertstand that
> the motivations were good, but it strikes me as being too much. And I am not
> sure how much more stupidproof the elaborate scheme is, than a simpler api
> would be. Thats one mans opinion.

We need a "lock" object that unlocks the mutex in the destructor in all
cases anyway to make the lock exception-safe. There are different
mutex objects so the user can express the features he requires from
a mutex as precisely as possible, thereby allowing efficient implementation.

> All the math and regex and graph and array and function stuff is welcome to
> me. BTW: where are the typelists? There must be reason they are not here.

Typelists are currently being discussed.

Jens Maurer