From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-15 12:35:18

Hi Vesa,

>On Tuesday 15 January 2002 17:52, you wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> At least the MSVC++ 6.x compiler implements 'for' incorrectly. For example,
> the following snippet fails to compile on MSVC++ 6.x:
>
> There is a simple widely known workaround for this bug:
>
> #ifndef for
> #define for if (0) {} else for
> #endif
>
> The biggest undesirable side-effect is that it may brake some legacy MSVC++
> code that relies on the old incorrect behavior. On the other hand, such
> code probably needs to be fixed sooner or later.
>
> Would this be worth adding to the MSVC++ config files?

This is certainly a good point for something like a MSVC FAQ or it should be
integrated in Jens MSVC deficiency list. With regard to the config files, I
don't see how this would be kept from leaking to user code. As a library user
I would really get pissed if any library forces something like this on me. To
me it feels to intrusive.

Thomas