From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-15 14:55:48

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Because:
> 1. I think that parsing proper is not the most complex thing. It's assigment
> to program variables and validation that was hard, at least for me.

That depends on what you want a command-line parser to do. As I've
mentioned before, our software has very complex option specifications
(nested options, etc.) that really require a formalized parsing
structure to make any sense of it. Spirit is perfect for our needs.
Any command-line parser that doesn't allow extension to such
option formats is essentially useless to us.

Using a formalized framework should make it easier for Boost users
to extend the command-line parser, especially given Spirit's
ability to support dynamic parsers entirely within the C++ language.

Assignment to program variables can be trivial. Again, it depends
on what you want to do. Validation is always hard. :)

                           -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson